I saw Ponniyin Selvan 1 yesterday. I know some people (non-Tamil) were possibly disappointed, since they expected something on the lines of Bahubali, whereas PS1 is more character-driven. The Tamil spoken in the movie is more classical, and music to the ears. I would like to see the movie again, just to hear the dialogues!
Also the much-hyped Aishwarya Rai role fell flat in front of Trisha’s character, much due to the fact that the latter was able to carry off her part with much more elan. Their first confrontation scene was epic, not because of the equality in dialogue, but because of the way Nandini (Ash) is unceremoniously deposed of the acting podium by just a glance from Trisha. A must-watch for lovers of cinema.
Which brings me to the 30*30, 5 minutes of which are still due. And so will sit for meditation post the blog. 30 minutes means 30 minutes, not 29:)
Here is an āsanā that you all must have tried, and failed. Also may have hurt your back in the process. Read about how it’s done correctly, and try again!
Padahastasana is a variation of Uttanasana (उत्तानासन) or Standing Forward Bend.
Pada (पाद, Pāda) = leg, foot
Hasta (हस्त, Hasta) = hand
Asana (आसन, Āsana) = pose, posture, seat
Pada-Hastasana (पादहस्तासन, Pāda-Hastāsana) = feet-on-hands-posture
Padahastasana or the Hand to Foot pose is part of Sūryanamaskāra or the Sun Salutation series. It appears as the 3rd pose and the 10th pose in this series.https://www.youtube.com/embed/3R7TDfhiIDk?feature=oembed
How to practice Padahastasana
1. Stand tall in Tadasana.
2. Step the feet hip-distance apart with arms at your side.
3. Exhale and bend forward at the hips while lengthening the spine.
4. Bring the arms down, palms under the feet. If this is not possible, try to bring your hands down and grasp your ankles.
5. Compress the big toes down into the thumbs of the hands.
6. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
7. To exit the pose, release your hands out of the feet and come back to your initial position (Tadasana).
Benefits of practising Padahastana
Padahastasana is highly recommended for the goodness of knees, thighs, and lower back. Some health benefits of this asana are as below:
1. Stretches the Hamstrings: Give the hamstrings the much-needed stretch through Padahastasana. The lengthening of the hamstrings contributes towards flexibility and lightness. Further, this reduces the risk of strain and several associated back problems.
2. Healthy Digestive Tract: “Death sits in the bowel and bad digestion is the root of all evil.” — Hippocrates. The solution to a poor digestion is found in the practice of hand under the foot pose. This asana stimulates the digestion enhancing the functions of various digestive organs thereby getting the things moving effectively inside the digestive tract.
3. Therapeutic for Carpal tunnel Syndrome: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common condition affecting people. Negligence to proper and timely care can worsen the situation with surgery as the last option. Padahastasana is a natural and safe method of treating the problem of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
4. Get the Blood Flowing: The Hand under Foot pose increases the blood circulation in the upper body region. A Boosted blood flow bathes the nerves and organs of the upper body region in vitality resulting in their health enhancement and proper functioning.
5. Stress Eliminator: Forward Fold in Padahastasana for 30 seconds to stand refreshed and rejuvenated. The hand under foot pose eliminates stress, fatigue, and energizes the body for carrying on the day with happiness and liveliness.
6. Better Posture: Forward Sitting in a hunched manner highly distorts the posture of a person. Stand in Padahastasana for a few seconds daily to lengthen the spine and to correct the poor posture. A proper posture is vital for standing, walking, lying, and sitting in positions to place a minimum strain on the muscles.
7. Speeds up Metabolism: Practice Hand Under Foot Pose to boost up the metabolic processes for good. This safe physical exercise helps a practitioner in maintaining a healthy metabolism on an everyday basis ensuring an easier weight management.
8. Well Functioning Spleen and Liver: The Padahastasana is fundamental to the well-functioning of the spleen and liver. Protect yourself from the diseases of thrombocytopenia, liver andenoma, etc., through the regular practice of hand under foot pose for an optimal functioning of the spleen and liver.
9. Healthy For Nasal and Throat Problems: The individuals suffering from diverse nasal and throat problems should include the hand under foot pose in their health regimen. The posture is considered to be effective in healing the throat and nasal related illnesses.
10. Stay Healthy and Young: Padahastasana is the way of keeping the body, mind, and soul in a perfect shape. This yoga asana fortifies the organs, increases the blood supply, and improves the working of the overall body system.